They’re coming. Are you ready? Mosquitoes are not only annoying, they can carry viruses and can make you sick. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to help control mosquitoes in and around your home:
- Eliminate standing water both inside and outside of your home: Empty and scrub, turn over, cover or throw out items that hold water, such as tires, buckets, planters, toys, pools, birdbaths, flowerpots or trash containers once a week.
- Repair cracks or gaps in septic tanks.
- Use screens on windows and doors.
- Use an Environmental Protection Agency-registered insect repellent.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
Visit the Centers for Disease Control’s website for more information on what you can do to protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites.