Do you love James City County and think it’s a unique place to live, work and play? Are you artistic and like to “think outside the box?” Show us your “LOVE” by participating in the LOVEworks Sign Design Contest!
Most everyone has seen one of the unique LOVE signs somewhere in Virginia. They’re at traveling rest stops, at parks, entrance roads and other popular areas in local towns. The LOVEworks program is a state-wide branding initiative led by the Virginia Tourism Corporation to promote that “Love is at the heart of every Virginia vacation.” As part of this program, each locality is encouraged to create a unique LOVEworks art piece that can be used to promote its family-friendly experiences. This is an opportunity to be creative, connect our area to the “Virginia is for Lovers” brand and increase interest in our unique destination. Once completed, the LOVE sign will be proudly displayed at Freedom Park, located at 5537 Centerville Road. The sign will be constructed in such a way that it will also be portable so that it can be moved between parks and commerce areas to “spread the LOVE.”
Contest Design Guidelines
- There’s no limit to the options for spelling out the letters. Visit www.virginia.org/LOVE to see the innovative ways other areas around the Commonwealth have shown their LOVE. You can create letters with pictures and images of what makes the County a great place to live, work, visit and play, and we want YOU to be a part of filling in our LOVE letters!
- Your design for the LOVEworks Sign Design Contest must, in some fashion, incorporate and promote the history, character and/or lifestyle of James City County.
- Your design will be transferred to a vinyl overlay for aluminum sheet letters that are approximately 6-feet tall with a total width of approximately 22-feet.
- Design must be submitted in one of the following file formats: .AI, .DOCX, .JPG, .PDF, .PNG or .PSD. Download .AI or .PSD templates here.
- Entries from local youth are encouraged; children age 17 years and younger must have a parent sign and submit the Design/Artwork Release Agreement.
- Participants may only submit ONE entry using the LOVE outline (see design entry form for details); all designs must be original!
- All design submissions must be titled. Example: “LiveLOVEJCC”
We welcome creativity! The design is not limited to the exact outline, but letters must be easily recognizable. Contest submissions will serve as inspiration for the design and be altered as needed by a professional artist. NOTE: Individual letters may be selected from multiple designs to make up the LOVE sign.
How to Enter
(1) Complete and submit your LOVEworks Sign Design Contest Entry Form with any needed signatures by June 15, 2022. Submit to Joy Johnson, Marketing Coordinator, in one of three ways:
Mail: James City County Parks & Recreation, 5320 Palmer Lane, Suite 2A, Williamsburg, VA 23188
(2) No late entries will be accepted.
(3) The contest is open to anyone residing in James City County or students in Williamsburg and James City County schools. Only one entry per person may be submitted.
Prizes & Recognition
- Selected winners will receive a Parks & Recreation Gift Certificate, valued at $150! The certificate can be used for shelter, room or paddle craft rentals or camps, classes or James City County Recreation Center membership fees.
- Prizes will be awarded at a Ribbon Cutting event with public recognition through various media outlets (press release, website, social media, etc.). Winners will be contacted and notified in advance by James City County Parks & Recreation to attend the event.