Yesterday was tax day, and it is time for another audit. Not a tax audit, but a lawn and garden assessment of your property that will save you time and money when tending to outdoor spaces in the warm months ahead. From cleaning to mowing and seeding, proper lawn care covers a range of responsibilities.
Stay on top of the game to ensure a healthy and beautiful yard by following the recommended tips below from askHRgreen.org:
- Start by conducting a walk-through of your yard to see what needs sprucing up.
- Pick up fallen branches and rake leaves/debris to the perimeter of your yard.
- Pull weeds and clear out old mulch.
- Clean, sharpen, and oil mower blades and garden tools.
- Prune and shape any shrubs and trees that need trimming back.
- Test your soil to see if amendments are needed. Add what you need and nothing more.
- Rejuvenate garden beds with fresh mulch. It will help your shrubs and plants retain moisture during the sizzling summer months.
- When selecting new bedding plants or new trees, go native! Native plants are easy to maintain because they are acclimated to Hampton Roads’ garden zones.
- Divide perennials such as daylilies, daffodils, and hostas.
- Check outdoor faucets, hoses and irrigation systems for leaks or drips.
For more information about preparing and maintaining your outdoor areas, visit askHRgreen.org