Ah, Thanksgiving. It’s that special time of year when we inadvisably and inexplicably decide that arguing with relatives who don’t even like each other about politics and religion while gorging on a giant feast amidst sharp knives is actually a plausible and desirable concept. Anyway, how much do you really know about the wholesome holiday?
Try to solve without Googling first.
Spoiler Alert – Answers are located at bottom of page.
1) Which utensil was NOT available at the first Thanksgiving held in 1621?
d) All of the Above (Pilgrims simply ate with their hands)
2) What did Thomas Jefferson reportedly say about Thanksgiving?
a) “Where’s the pecan pie? Let’s eat!”
b) “I love that Snoopy balloon flying over Monticello”
c) “Who’s playing in the NFL game today?”
d) “Today I officially declare Thanksgiving a national holiday!”
e) “Thanksgiving is the most ridiculous idea ever conceived!”
3) Which turkeys actually gobble?
a) Only female turkeys
b) Only male turkeys
c) Both female turkeys and male turkeys
d) Neither female turkeys nor male turkeys
4) Which is the name of an actual American town?
a) Turkey Creek, Louisiana
b) Turkey Township, Tennessee
c) Turkeyville, West Virginia
d) Turkey Falls, Wisconsin
5) What year did astronauts first celebrate Thanksgiving in space?
d) Astronauts have never celebrated Thanksgiving in space
6) True or False – Growers actually test cranberries for ripeness by seeing if they bounce.
7) What is the name for a baby turkey?
8) How many stomachs do turkeys have?
d) Scientists aren’t really sure, as they keep eating the specimens
9) What did Americans pick as the concern they were most thankful for in 2021?
10) True or False – Tourists can actually buy tickets to eat a Thanksgiving meal in Plymouth, Massachusetts, where the First Thanksgiving took place.
11) What word is missing from the famous letter of the English settler Edward Winslow which describes the First Thanksgiving?
12) Fill in the Blank – The very first Macy’s Parade in 1924 was actually called the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Parade instead of the Thanksgiving Parade.
13) Which were NOT at the first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924?
14) What percentage of Americans drive instead of fly to their Thanksgiving travel destinations?
14 correct – You are the Honorary Grand Marshall of the First Annual Online Thanksgiving Day Parade
10-13 correct – You even love those sweet pickles only eaten once a year
5-9 correct – You like turkey but are ready for that cool guy who flies a sleigh
1-4 correct – You are allergic to stuffing, cousins, and being appreciative
0 correct – You must spend all of December stuffed inside a giant cardboard turkey with a Korean pop band and a grouchy old man in a torn light blue windbreaker while they argue about who is the best crooner, give each other fake tattoos, and eat stale, low-salt kale chips