Ah, the Labor Day Weekend. It’s that time of year when we lament all of the things we should have done during the summer months. The Boys of Summer by Don Henley begins to play on the radio, and locals wearing questionable cutoff jean bathing suits make their last visits to the local 7-11 stores for cooler ice and high-fat refreshments. How much do you really know about Labor Day though? Try to solve without Googling first. Spoiler Alert – Answers are located at the bottom of the page.
1) Which president signed legislation making Labor Day a federal holiday in 1894?
a) Chester A. Arthur
b) Benjamin Harrison
c) Grover Cleveland
d) Cleveland Grover
e) Chester A. Cleveland
2) Why aren’t you supposed to wear white clothing after Labor Day?
a) Scientists aren’t really sure
b) You will get frostbite in September
c) Wearing white involved a British law which meant you still owed taxes
d) Wearing white indicates you are still on vacation at your summer cottage
3) How many hot dogs did Americans eat between Memorial Day and Labor Day?
a) 7 million
b) 700 million
c) 7 billion
d) 7 gazillion
4) Where was the first ever American Labor Day Parade held in 1882?
a) New York City
5) Sadly, what was the last year Jerry Lewis hosted the iconic Labor Day Weekend Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon?
6) A Polish woman set the record for time spent in labor during pregnancy at:
a) 15 days
b) 30 days
c) 45 days
d) 60 days
e) 75 days
f) She is still in labor
7) True or False – Labor Day was started by two unrelated guys with the last names McGuire and Maguire.
8) The tragic Haymarket Affair which led to the first Labor Day took place in:
a) New York
b) Los Angeles
9) True or False – Before the first Labor Day, the normal American work week was six days and 12 hours per day.
10) In 1887, which state was the first to make Labor Day an official public holiday?
11) True or False – Virginia has a “Kings Dominion Law” which prevents schools from starting back up until after Labor Day, so as to protect the state’s invaluable tourism industry.
12) Which state cleverly ends its State Fair on Labor Day?
13) True or False – Many retailers cite Labor Day as their second biggest sales day only to the Black Friday after Thanksgiving each year.
14) The infamous, deadly Labor Day Hurricane struck in:
9 True (Dismally)
11 False (In an epic bad decision, it was repealed in 2019)
14 correct – You are the Honorary Emcee of the Labor Day Parade
10-13 correct – You actually remained awake in American History class
5-9 correct – You like Labor Day, but are ready for Halloween
1-4 correct – You want one more month of summer at the beach
0 correct – You must spend the rest of September in an old abandoned railcar with Taylor Swift and three hoboes while they eat questionable stews and stale corn chips while playing harmonicas and singing Swiss sea shanties