The Department of Human Services is now accepting applications for assistance with cooling needs as part of the Virginia Energy Assistance Program. Eligible households can receive assistance to purchase or repair cooling equipment and/or with payment for electricity to operate cooling equipment.
In order to qualify for cooling assistance, a household must include a vulnerable person defined as a child less than six years of age, an individual living with a disability or an adult age 60 or older. Additionally, an applicant must be a resident of the locality in which the application is made, must be responsible for a cooling expense and the household gross monthly income must not exceed established income limits.
Types of available assistance include:
- Payment of electric bills to operate cooling equipment
- Payment of security deposits for electricity to operate cooling equipment
- Repair of a central air conditioning system or heat pump
- Purchase of a whole-house fan, ceiling or attic fans
- Purchase and installation of a window unit air conditioner
A household can apply for cooling assistance by:
- Filing an application online at www.commonhelp.Virginia.gov;
- Calling the Enterprise Customer Service Center (call center) at 855-635-4370; or
- Completing a paper application and submitting it to the Newport News Department of Human Services in person or by fax to 757-926-6442.
No interview is required but a worker may reach out to clarify information on the application if needed. The application period is open through August 16. Assistance is based on the availability of funds For more information, Newport News residents can call the Department of Human Services at 757-926-6601.