Ah, Memorial Day Weekend! It’s that special time of the year to break out the suntan lotion, road maps, and beach chairs to start enjoying the summer weather. It’s also that fun time to go to our local Walmarts and 7-11 stores to see who is wearing the worst fashions. Anyway, considering the fact that many people were confined to their homes in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic, we are all appreciating our freedoms more these days. Of course, let’s not forget the ultimate importance of Memorial Day, which is remembering ONLY the brave women and men who died serving our country. All soldiers who served have their Veterans Day on November 11th, and on May 15th, 2021, Armed Forces Day was held to recognize all military personnel who are currently serving.
How much do you really know about the holiday weekend? Try to answer without Googling first. Can anyone go 14 for 14? Good luck!
*Spoiler Alert – Answers are at the bottom of the page
1) How many Americans plan to travel at least 50 miles from home for Memorial Day Weekend in 2021?
a) 17 million
b) 37 million
c) 57 million
d) None, since gas now costs $728.35 per gallon
2) What year was the movie Memorial Day released?
3) What year did Memorial Day officially become a federal holiday?
d) Surprisingly, Memorial Day is still not an official federal holiday
4) True or False – Major General John A. Logan picked May for Memorial Day partly because he knew lots of flowers would be in bloom to decorate graves of fallen soldiers.
5) On Memorial Day, the flag should be flown:
a) Half-staff the entire day
b) Full-staff the entire day
c) Half-staff from sunrise until noon, and then full-staff until sunset
d) Full-staff from sunrise until noon, and then half-staff until sunset
6) Fill in the Blank – Memorial Day used to be known as ________ Day.
7) In 1966, LBJ officially declared which town to be the official birthplace of Memorial Day?
a) New York, New York
b) Waterloo, New York
c) Boston, Massachusetts
d) Atlanta, Georgia
e) Poquoson, Virginia
8) What year was the first accepted known use of the words “Memorial Day”?
9) True or False – The number of persons in the current 117th Congress who have honorably served in the military is at the lowest level (91) since at least World War II.
10) How many hot dogs per second will Americans consume from Memorial Day through Labor Day in 2021?
a) 218 per second
b) 418 per second
c) 618 per second
d) 818 per second
e) Scientists are still furiously debating
11) Which will be the most popular city to travel to this Memorial Day Weekend?
a) Orlando, Florida
b) Honolulu, Hawaii
c) Anchorage, Alaska
d) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
e) Poquoson, Virginia
12) True or False – The poem “In Flanders Fields”, which is often associated with Memorial Day, was actually written by a Canadian soldier.
13) True or False – Memorial Day Weekend is expected to be the top holiday for beer purchases in America this year.
14) Lastly, on a much more serious note, what time is the “National Moment of Remembrance” for our brave fallen soldiers, which is to be observed on Memorial Day?
a) 12:00 p.m. local time
b) 1:00 p.m local time
c) 2:00 p.m. local time
d) 3:00 p.m. local time
1 – b
2 – c
3 – c
4 – True
5 – c
6 – Decoration
7 – b
8 – a
9 – True (sadly, no surprise there)
10 – d (which is about seven billion hot dogs)
11 – a
12 – True
13 – False (second to the Fourth of July)
14 – d
14 correct – You should be the Grand Marshall of the Memorial Day Parade
10-13 correct – You probably have visited many historic battlefields
5-9 correct – You like Memorial Day but are ready for Labor Day along with cooler weather
1-4 correct – You possibly think the French are the coolest people ever
0 correct – You must spend the entire summer at a lame never-ending pool party with the Kardashians, the Osmonds, Taylor Swift, and Justin Bieber while they braid each other’s hair, eat bland salt-free kale chips, talk about their favorite “sensitive” television shows, as well as perform questionable German folk rap songs.